I love reading books out loud to my students. I love it. Of all of the times that I get to truly connect on a heart-to-heart level with first and second graders throughout my day, Read Aloud is my favorite.
How do you know when you’re having one of those connecting moments? Well, you know it when you see it…
- That urgent (and somewhat nervous) hush that eclipses the group when Moose doesn’t get picked for the letter M.
- The sighs of understanding and love that sweep through the circle when Edward begins to grow and change as a more empathetic character.
- The delighted sparkles that dance around eyes and smiles when Mr. Fookwire shakes his fist.
- The raised and excited eyebrows of discovery when Bear finds his friendship universe expanding.
- The unbelieving sounds of dismay when my father learns of the chains that shackle the baby dragon.