- 31 trusting and supportive first and second grade families
- 3 weeks of hybrid learning, school-wide
- 6 online pre-recorded videos each day (you don’t have to change your hairstyle each day – just go with it!)
- 6 in-person lessons each day (given the covered nature of your masked up smile, throw in a few extra eyebrow wiggles for good measure)
- 12 lesson-long servings of patience
- countless mask breaks
- a healthy dollop of Book Love (you’ll know you have enough when your students just CAN’T STOP READING!)
- 18 empathetic colleagues
- 1 weekly planner, attached to your body at all times
- 1 heartful of compassion, armed and ready to be streamlined to anyone who may need it (yourself included!)
- Gather listed ingredients (in any order you find them).
- Mix together with as many dashes of humor as humanly possible.
- Take your time and let these ingredients simmer together. Don’t rush the process or your product may fall flat.
- Take a big breath and look up every now and then – you may surprise yourself with glimpses of what even become a well-oiled machine.
- As you concoct this particular recipe, be sure to regularly refuel yourself with your own personal blend of smile-makers. Some options include: Exercise, cocktails, phone calls with friends and family, fresh air.
- For a little more spice, throw in thick smoky skies from CA, UT, and CO wildfires. You’re already wearing a mask, so why not?!
- For extra spice (beware!), throw in a 60 degree temperature drop and inches of cold, wet snow during the school day.
- Remember: If you think you can rely on your past years of teaching experience to float you through this school year, then toss that ridiculousness right out the window. You’re in the trenches with the rest of us!