I didn’t want to overwhelm myself on today’s reentry back into school, so I made a point to notice the little things. This is what I saw:
- A second grader teach a (highly contested) football rule to a first grader at recess.
- A reader recommending a book to another reader based on what she knew about him.
- A writer asking her partner for editing support because she knew that her partner could spot spelling mistakes in her work easier than she could herself.
- A teacher holding the door for another teacher who was a good fifteen steps behind him.
- A parent telling another parent about this amazing thing she saw her kiddo do after school yesterday.
- A parent sanitizing each and every kid-made bowl that went through the soup line at tonight’s community event.
- A son bringing his father an extra bowl of soup because he knew he’d like it.
- A bald eagle flying downriver at the same speed as I drove down the frontage road.
- Bright stars and a half(ish) moon signaling a cool, clear night ahead.
Not bad for a bunch of little things, huh? Consider me reentered.